3 November 2014

Jane the Virgin

I grew up in India and was exposed to tons of bad soap operas and hence, grew rather suspicious of them. But here comes Jane swooping in, removing all my worries.


Following the life and times of Jane a young waitress who has 'saved' herself for marriage after her extremely religious grandmother scared her when she was young. As a complete opposite of her mother, Jane walks into a regular ob-gyn appointment and instead gets artificially inseminated with a strange man's love juice!
The story is an adapted version of a spanish soap, and even though I am 3 episodes into the english version I am hooked. So hooked in fact, that I attempted to watch the end of the spanish version just to find out what happens. 
I have a strange affliction where I am immediately attracted to dense storylines with overlapping character timelines. Perfect examples of these would be She's The Man and Once Upon a Time. 
And add on the fact that it is hilariously made with a great narrator. And made in the vein of a generic spanish telenovella, almost in the sense of making fun of it, adds the cherry on top of the funny cake that it is. 
The acting is almost great, with tango music playing in the background which again I am sucker for. It sure seems like most of the things that I just so happen to love have come together to create a tv show exclusively for me.
But can other people please watch the show so I have someone to bond with?

The Good: The actress has an odd looking face but yet, she is starring in the show. Meaning that there is still hope for me.
The Bad: The Other Man in the story line doesn't seem to have the special zing that is required to be The Other Man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment