5 September 2015

#ScoreSaturday: San Andreas+Zero Dark Thirty

What do a movie about a massive earthquake and a movie about capturing Bin Laden have in common?
An amazing soundtrack!


The trailer for Zero Dark Thirty played practically on a constant loop before its premiere, especially in every single of those nefarious ads on YouTube.

Other than how cool Jessica Chastain looked, the only thing that I could notice was the incredible music that played in the background.
After the 30th time of rewatching the trailer, I realised that the song was in fact Metallica's Nothing Else Matters. 
A hauntingly beautiful version of it.
And thus I was introduced into the fantastic world of Scala and Kolacny Brothers.



One major motion picture wasn't enough for this incredible group of choir style singers who perform these heart-achingly glorious pieces of music. Which on occasion, I have found to be better than the original version. 
The San Andreas trailer also boasts a Scala and Kolacny piece, California Dreamin'.

For several months, even after the release of the movie, the soundtrack of the film showed The Mama's and The Papas version as the one used in the film. Which is decidedly not the same one. Believe me, in my search for the song, I listened to The Mamas and The Papas version of it several times. 
Instead, the chilling rendition that Scala and Kolacny have done earns some merit now. 



The group has done several more wonderful covers with some rather interesting results. They recently went on tour as well and very carefully avoided coming to the town where I reside. Despite that infraction, I so adore their music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment